THS squads play in basketball benefit
Tonganoxie High fans will have one final chance to see this year's senior girls and boys basketball players compete.
At 7:30 p.m. Friday, the players will battle a community team in the THS gymnasium.
The fundraiser is being conducted to benefit Project Grad 2007, which is an event for THS seniors after graduation in May.
Organizers are asking for a suggested $1 donation for admission.
Fans also will be able to purchase raffle tickets for several Kansas City sports autographed items at the game.
- A golf ball signed by Chiefs quarterback Trent Green.
- A black-and-white autographed photo of golfer Tom Watson.
- A color autographed photo of Chiefs defensive end Erick Hicks.
- An autographed copy of the book "Catch and Connect," by Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez.
- A Louisville Slugger signed by former Royals great and National Baseball Hall of Fame inductee George Brett.
A drawing for the items will be conducted later this spring. Raffle tickets also could be available at future THS spring sports events.
Debbie Krivjansky, who works at First State Bank and Trust, has been named the "coach" for the community team.
Krivjansky said Monday she wasn't certain who would grace the community team's roster, but she was hoping to get a good mix of alumni and business people from a wide age range.
"Anybody I can recruit," Krivjansky said with a laugh. "It will be a really informal coaching situation. I don't even know whether coaching is the correct word. It might be begging by Wednesday (today)."
The one constant she's heard from people she's asked to play on the community team -- make sure there are several people on the roster.
"Please get a lot of people so we can sub a lot," Krivjansky said, recalling what people have said to her about playing on the community team.
Although the game starts at 7:30 p.m., the concession stand will open at 7 p.m.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Feds: Hotel owners replaced legal workers with immigrants
- New Kansas rules would limit spending of welfare benefits
- Kansas to hold meetings, consider options for drone usage
- Tonganoxie City Council candidate questionnaire: Susan Freemyer