Aunt Norie’s Sewing Room
As I read about your garage sale hints and finds the other day, I decided I just had to share my most special skirt with you, Vera said.
I'd been pestering mom for so long for a full-circle skirt, I just had to have one.
You see I had learned to square dance, and you know how they twirl and whirl you about and how that skirt floats and whirls.
On my 16th birthday, mom gave me the most memorable gift I have ever had, my full-circle skirt. Of course it no longer fits me, however I still have it tucked away in my cedar chest with all of my very special treasures.
And what makes it so extra special is she'd made it from a soft blue round table cloth from the table she had at her bedside. It matched her drapes and bedspread set.
She then said she was tired of it there, but I knew; she is a very special mom.
She had just cut a small circle from its center, to fit my waist, and there is not a seam in it except, of course, where she sewed a grosgrain ribbon for its waistband. Thank you so very much for sharing your treasure with us.
There are so many things you can make and make over if you can sew, and it's never too late to learn.
Garage sales are here to stay, there are many neighborhood sales now that are such fun. If you haven't yet taken them in, get a friend to go along. Until next week have fun and God Bless.
Aunt Norie can be reached at P.O. Box 265 Tonganoxie 66086 or at email@example.com.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie vigil pays tribute to 21-year-old killed in Thursday morning wreck
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation
- Kansas school funding plan aimed at ending budget surprises
- Kansas Senate approves concealed carry of guns without training or permit
- Kansas considers changes to policies for state workers