Piper knocks THS baseball out of playoffs
Last Wednesday's Tonganoxie-Piper regional baseball moved along at a fast pace.
The game was finished in less than an hour and a half. Although both teams held their own defensively, Piper was a tad better with the bats.
The Pirates won the game, 3-0, ending Tonganoxie's season at 8-9.
"That's the way baseball is supposed to be played," THS coach Phil Loomis said, noting good defensive and pitching efforts by both squads.
PHS scored early with a run in the first, but Tonganoxie held PHS scoreless during the next four innings. THS trailed just 1-0 heading into the bottom of the sixth, but Piper generated two insurance runs. After a Piper batter reached base after being hit by a pitch, A second PHS batter bunted to the third base line. The batter was thrown out at first, but the runner advanced to third from first on the sacrifice play
Piper senior Daniel Klapper hit a sacrifice fly to the outfield, bringing his teammate in from third. Piper added another run before Tonganoxie could get out of the inning.
Seniors lost to graduation are Daniel Volk, Jake Heskett, Jake Dent and Chris Folsom.
More like this story
- Some Wichita city officials open to discuss Confederate flag
- Brownback urges Kansas House to pass GOP school funding plan
- City budget suggestions cause conflict on Shawnee council
- Tonganoxie Elementary School wins state title in Music Memory
- Kansas school funding plan aimed at ending budget surprises