Fire caused by turkey smoker causes $30,000 in damages
A turkey smoker caused severe damage to a detached garage early Tuesday in Tonganoxie.
Tonganoxie City Fire Department received the call about 5:15 a.m. for a fire at 120 Hatchell Road, Fire Chief Dave Bennett said.
Bennett said a Tonganoxie man was smoking a turkey inside the garage and the turkey smoker caught on fire and spread to the wall adjacent to it. Bennett said he was still working on a complete report and did not have the man's name.
The fire chief estimated loss of about $30,000, as the garage sustained severe damage. A newer Kaboda lawn and garden tractor also was in the garage, Bennett said.
He also noted that the device was not a turkey fryer, which has become a popular item in recent years for preparing turkeys.
"I'd never seen one like this," Bennett said. "It was like an old refrigerator that was turned into a smoker."
Bennett said the fire was ruled as accidental.
More like this story
- Ag Hall's Tractor Daze to include hall of fame inductions
- Kansas City Connection: Fourth of July fireworks, folk art at the Nelson
- Kansas lawmakers seek classroom tweaks in school budget row
- Kansas closer to allowing concealed carry with no permit
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament