THS loses first district game
The Tonganoxie High football team had trouble containing Perry-Lecompton's 1-2 punch on the ground of Shane Gimzo and Caleb Denton in a 34-13 loss Friday night at Beatty Field.
Denton rushed for 111 yards and a touchdown, while Gimzo rushed for 78 yards and two touchdowns. The Kaws (6-1) rushed for 252 yards.
Tonganoxie (1-6) showed signs of life, but it came too late in the game. Freshman quarterback Jeremy Carlisle showed how dangerous he could be for years to come with a 77-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter along the right sideline. Carlisle had 102 yards rushing.
Tonganoxie will play host to Atchison next Friday in the second week of district play.
Check Wednesday's edition of The Mirror for the full story.
Scoring by quarter:
Tonganoxie 7 0 0 6 - 13
Perry-Lecompton 21 6 7 0 - 34
PL --Joel Gantz 22 pass from Shane Gimzo (Neng Arwichai kick)
T -- Gabe Belobrajdic 68 pass from Jeremy Carlisle (Cameron Adcox kick)
PL -- Dillon Harrell 14 pass from Gimzo (Arwichai kick)
PL -- Gimzo 10 run (Arwichai kick)
PL -- Gimzo 5 run (kick failed)
PL -- Caleb Denton 56 run (Arwichai kick)
T -- Carlisle 77 run (two-point conversion failed)
More like this story
- KanCare starting ombudsman volunteer program in 3 places
- Kansas City Connection: 'Christmas Cheer' from a new 'Nutcracker' to Charles Dickens
- Tonganoxie box social proves to be lucrative fundraiser
- Tonganoxie City Council candidate questionnaire: Susan Freemyer
- Organization Orientation: Tonganoxie Civic Club