Our View: Birthday open house shows spirit of giving
"It is better to give than receive" is a lesson that often gets lost between saying and doing -- but not for Jarbalo resident Cameron Rutledge.
Rutledge, who has cerebral palsy, turned 30 earlier this month, and he and his family decided to throw an open house to mark the occasion. But instead of collecting gifts, he decided to conduct a silent auction of items he and his family had collected. In turn, he decided to donate whatever money was raised to Donna Conrad, a Tonganoxie woman who suffers from a brain disorder.
The auction raised a whopping $1,000. Thus we extend our congratulations to Rutledge for both saying and doing.
More like this story
- Second-half collapse hurts Tonganoxie High boys
- Tonganoxie High girls can't get past Piper in substate title game
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary
- Tonganoxie St. Pat's Parade organizers working to bulk up annual spring event
- Survivors of Jewish sites shooting victims plan remembrance