Our View: Birthday open house shows spirit of giving
"It is better to give than receive" is a lesson that often gets lost between saying and doing -- but not for Jarbalo resident Cameron Rutledge.
Rutledge, who has cerebral palsy, turned 30 earlier this month, and he and his family decided to throw an open house to mark the occasion. But instead of collecting gifts, he decided to conduct a silent auction of items he and his family had collected. In turn, he decided to donate whatever money was raised to Donna Conrad, a Tonganoxie woman who suffers from a brain disorder.
The auction raised a whopping $1,000. Thus we extend our congratulations to Rutledge for both saying and doing.
More like this story
- Lansing spoils Tonganoxie homecoming game with big second half
- Tonganoxie football blanks Bishop Ward, 42-0
- De Soto hands Tonganoxie football second straight loss
- Tonganoxie football holds on again after big lead for 2nd victory of season
- Tonganoxie football staves off Perry-Lecompton rally for first victory