Memorable THS volleyball quotes after THS sub-state victory
Senior Sami Franiuk
¢ "That was a big match for us. It was sweet revenge. They took us out on their home court last year. We brought it back. We were ready for that game two weeks ago. There was no way we were going to lose that one."
- On facing Holton
- "Our fan section was amazing and really helped us pull through it all. Someone wanted us to win up there."
- On the THS student section
- "We had to remind ourselves to not get ahead of ourselves. That was the semifinals. We haven't won it yet. They're just as good and a good team. Don't let up."
- On keeping focus against Jefferson West in the finals
- "We're the best four seed in Kansas. That's all we have to say about that. A seed's a seed. It's how you show up at the showdown that matters."
- On Tonganoxie entering the sub-state tournament a No. 4 seed
Senior Tracie Hileman
¢ "I don't know how to put it into words. It's just that it's so past due that it's finally time. We worked longer for this than any other sport we've did well in."
- On winning sub-state
- "We had our defense for them all worked out. We knew what to expect from however many other times we've played them. We were prepared and more mentally tough than we were before."
- On Holton
- "Don't settle just to make it there. You have to go big or go home."
- On the state tournament in Salina
- "We just have really good flow on offense. It's very cohesive. We play on the edge, but not over the edge."
- On why THS had so many scoring opportunities
THS co-coach Tiffany Parker
¢ "We were able to get them those opportunities because our passing was very good today. When we have good passing, we can get our middles, Shannon (Carlin) and Liz (Baska) the ball. They put away quite a few balls today. If they're putting balls away, that makes the other team have to guess where the ball's going. That really opens up opportunities for our outsides to really shine."
- On why Franiuk and Hileman had constant scoring opportunities
- "It just seemed like our kids were like, 'This is our court and we are winning sub-state with all these people here.' They did their jobs perfectly. If you do your job, it kind of works like a machine. We were a machine tonight."
- On what she noticed from her team at sub-state
- "It's fun to watch an athlete. I don't care if it's your team's athlete or another team's athlete. And (Hileman) and Sami (Franiuk) are really good athletes. Sometimes you just have to sit back and watch and say, 'My goodness, I didn't really teach any of that, but that is awesome.' It's a lot of God-given ability. I can't teach them to jump."
- On Hileman and Franiuk
- "This is what was said: 'Do what we do.' That was about it. And that's exactly what they did. If we pass well and serve well, we're going to hit well and block well."
- On what she told her team before the championship match against Jefferson West
THS co-coach Brandon Parker
¢ My voice doesn't work too well right now. It's been a long time. We're happy for these kids. Every day they've come in, they've worked to get better. They decided "good" wasn't good enough. They wanted to be great. I give them all the credit in the world. That's a hard thing for people to do.
- On what it feels like to win sub-state
More like this story
- Leaders of the pack for Tonganoxie cross country
- Tonganoxie High cross country boys win dual against Lansing
- Footloose Chieftains: Tonganoxie cross country qualifies both teams for state for 1st time in a decade
- Tonganoxie High cross country on its mark
- Mitchell appointed to Kansas' 18th Judicial District