Archive for Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Record

October 24, 2007

Tonganoxie Police Department

  • Around 11:40 a.m. Friday, 81-year-old Winnie Langston, Tonganoxie, was involved in a car accident at U.S. Highway 24-40 and Village Terrace. She was preparing to turn west from Village Terrace onto US 24-40 when she failed to see a 2002 Buick LeSabre driven by 83-year-old Hollis Schutz, Leavenworth, already westbound on the highway. Langston's 1991 Chevy S10 pickup ran into the rear driver's side of Schutz's car. Both women were wearing their seatbelts and required no medical attention.
  • Around 1:45 a.m. Sunday, a 47-year-old Tonganoxie woman was arrested for DUI at the intersection of 205th and West streets. Police received a call that a drunk driver was leaving the Conoco station. Police caught up to the woman and arrested her after she refused any field sobriety tests. The woman was taken to Leavenworth County Jail.

Tonganoxie City Fire Department

  • Firefighters responded with Leavenworth County Emergency Medical Service at 7:12 a.m. and 8:02 a.m. Oct. 15, 3:33 p.m. Oct. 16, 5:10 p.m. and 6:49 p.m. Wednesday, 7:17 a.m. and 10:40 p.m. Thursday, 5:44 a.m. Friday and 10:44 a.m. Sunday.
  • At 8:38 a.m. Oct. 16, firefighters responded to an activated carbon monoxide alarm in the 600 block of East Fifth Street. No hazard was found.
  • At 9:18 a.m. Friday, firefighters responded to an injury traffic accident at U.S. Highway 24-40 and Main Street.
  • Firefighters, at 10:47 a.m. Friday, were at a public relations event at Tonganoxie Nursing Center.
  • At 11:10 a.m. Friday, firefighters responded with Tonganoxie Township and Union Township fire departments for a motor home and boat on fire in the 21500 block of 235th Street.
  • At 1:55 p.m. Saturday, firefighters served on standby for Fairmount Township Fire Department while that department was on a call.
  • Firefighters assisted Tonganoxie Police at 4:55 a.m. Sunday.

Leavenworth County Sheriff's Office

  • A teller from First National Bank of Easton reported that a young male had attempted to cash a check at the bank's drive through around 2 p.m. Oct. 16. The teller reported she was suspicious of the man and alerted the bank's vice president, who then called the owner of the check. The 73-year-old Easton man said he had not authorized the check. The bank's vice president called authorities, but the suspect had left without being identified. A second check belonging to the Easton man had been cashed at Hilltop Market for $200.
  • A Leavenworth County EMS ambulance was in an accident involving a deer around 2:20 a.m. Oct. 17 in the 20300 block of Tonganoxie Road. The ambulance was northbound on County Road 1 when it struck the deer, killing it. The ambulance was not carrying a patient at the time. Neither the driver, Charles Gottschalk, 52, Leavenworth, nor a passenger, Kathleen Stewart, 52, Leavenworth, were injured.
  • Around 3:36 p.m. Oct. 17, deputies responded to a report of battery in the 100 block of Third Street in Linwood. A 53-year-old Linwood woman said her daughter, 27, of the same residence, was out of control. The mother and daughter were in an argument that became physical and a table was broken. The daughter was taken into custody for battery and criminal damage to property. She was taken to the Leavenworth County Jail.
  • A 50-year-old Tonganoxie man was arrested for DUI around 1:25 p.m. Thursday at the intersection of Church Street and County Road 6 and was taken to the Leavenworth County Jail.
  • Sheriff's deputies, members of the Tonganoxie Township Fire Department, Tonganoxie Fire Department and the Union Township Fire Department responded to a motor home fire at 11 a.m. Friday at the 21500 block of 235th Street. The home, owned by a 49-year-old Tonganoxie woman, was considered a total loss. Faulty wiring was considered the cause of the fire. Nobody was injured in the fire, which also damaged a nearby boat.
  • Around 2:15 p.m. Saturday, 67-year-old Vernetta Herken, Easton, was in a car accident at Kansas Highway 192 and 207th Street. She slammed into two concrete road barricades used by the county as storage for road sand and salt. She was driving west on K-192 when her cell phone rang. The report stated that Herken had reached into the vehicle console to get the phone and took her eyes off of the road for a few seconds when she struck the barricades. She then left the road and was not able to stop, coming to rest in the grassy shoulder. She was treated at the scene by EMS and later transported to Cushing Memorial Hospital for further examination.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.