Masons plan community dinner
Glenn Graves hopes plenty of area residents are hungry for turkey and all the fixings Saturday, Nov. 10.
He is organizing the Henri Masonic Lodge No. 190's second annual free community turkey dinner at the lodge, 311 S. Delaware in Tonganoxie.
Last year, the lodge went through about 10 turkeys to serve more than 80 people, Graves said.
"We're hoping for more," Graves said about this year's event. "If I have people standing out there in line, I would just be tickled pink."
The event will run from noon to 3 p.m. The Masons ask that people attending bring canned food items, which will be donated to the Good Shepherd Thrift Store and Food Pantry.
At last year's inaugural dinner, the group collected 12 boxes of canned foods to take to Good Shepherd.
Anyone interested in attending the event should contact Graves so that he has an idea of how many turkeys to order. He said he would prefer that people contact him by Tuesday. His number is (913) 369-9731.
Once they find out how many turkeys they will need to order, the Masons purchase them from Jim Gambril at B&J Country Mart.
"Jim gives us a nice deal," Graves said. "He's very supportive."
The Masonic Lodge also accepts contributions for other items for the meal. For instance, B&J Country Mart also donated 10 pies to the benefit last year.
More like this story
- Government organization adopts out 13 horses, burros at Tonganoxie event
- Kansas City Connection: Group golf and a great escape
- Tonganoxie pays respects to longtime doctor at visitation
- Linenberger: Repurposing former Tonganoxie Elementary School worth a look
- Kansas City Connection: The art of ‘Rising Up,’ and visiting some old haunts