Obituary: Leland Estes Smith
1919 - 2007
Services for Leland Estes Smith, 88, formerly of Kansas City, Kan., will be at 1:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 2, at Warren-McElwain Mortuary, Lawrence. Burial will be in Memorial Park Cemetery, Lawrence, with military honors by American Legion Dorsey-Liberty Post 14.
Mr. Smith died Saturday, Oct. 27, 2007, at the Eudora Nursing Center. He was born July 23, 1919, in McLouth, the son of Chester and Bertha Smith.
Mr. Smith served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He was a carpenter and retired from the Kansas Turnpike Authority in 1984.
He was a member of the Acacia Lodge No. 9 AF&AM.
He married Maudine Gamble in 1978 in Independence, Mo. She survives, of Kansas City, Kan.
Other survivors include two sons, Eric, Eudora, and Dennis, Lawrence; a stepson, Thomas J. Gamble, Kansas City, Kan.; a brother, Loren, Independence, Mo.; a sister, Phyllis Adams, Pattonsburg, Mo.; nine grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.
The family will greet friends from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the mortuary.
The family suggests memorials to Hospice Care in Douglas County, sent in care of the mortuary, 120 W. 13th St., Lawrence 66044.
Online condolences may be sent at warrenmcelwain.com.
More like this story
- New Kansas rules would limit spending of welfare benefits
- 8 years after tornado, Greensburg to have theater again
- Feds: Hotel owners replaced legal workers with immigrants
- Kansas City Connection: The return of the Royals, and showtime for Middle of the Map
- Kansas City streetcar construction to finish this fall