Archive for Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Also from September 12

All stories

Truly the Greatest Generation
September 12, 2007
Without taking anything away from my father’s generation, I think the service members in the military today are truly the Greatest Generation. They volunteered to serve, they have endured multiple overseas deployments and combat tours, but their re-enlistment rate is phenomenal, their morale is high and yet they constitute less than 1 percent of the population of the United States of America — that’s less than 1 percent providing for the national security for the remaining 99 percent. Never have so few, done so much, for so many.
Revenge not an issue for THS
September 12, 2007
Don’t tell Brandon Parker the opening match of the 2007 season at Holton symbolized revenge.
Development shown off at open house
September 12, 2007
Leavenworth County residents gathered at the grand opening of the Rocking C Equestrian Estates community on Saturday.
To the editor: By the people or by the ‘king’?
September 12, 2007
How many people read the two articles in the July 26 Leavenworth Times, “Relationship under scrutiny,” and “Oroke discloses e-mail messages”?
Engagements
September 12, 2007
Norman E. Wiley Jr.
1923 - 2007
September 12, 2007
Obituary: Dorothy Louise Proctor
1932 - 2007
September 12, 2007
Obituary: Katherine Watson
1946 - 2007
September 12, 2007
Services for Katherine Watson, 61, Tonganoxie, will be at 10 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 13, at Village Community Church in Kansas City, Kan. Burial will be in Maple Grove Cemetery in Tonganoxie.
Grandparents descend on TES
September 12, 2007
The move of fifth- and sixth-graders to the new middle school didn’t affect the number of Tonganoxie grandparents that came to visit grandchildren at the Tonganoxie Elementary School’s annual Grandparents Day.
Tonganoxie Marine gets hero’s welcome upon return to KCI
September 12, 2007
When Taylor Sneed’s plane landed Saturday at Kansas City International Airport, he expected to see his family. He got that and a lot more.
State says USD 464’s progress not on par
McLouth district also among those cited as lacking
September 12, 2007
The Tonganoxie and McLouth school districts have been identified as not making adequate yearly progress, the Kansas State Department of Education announced Tuesday.
Mayor reiterates apology for e-mail
September 12, 2007
Television cameras were rolling as Tonganoxie Mayor Mike Vestal made another public apology to the people of Tonganoxie at Monday night’s City Council meeting.
Library district expansion OK’d
September 12, 2007
Voters in southern Leavenworth County have given approval to expansion of the Linwood Library District.
District buys out assistant’s contract
September 12, 2007
The Tonganoxie School District is without its director of operations but will continue to pay on his contract, which runs through June 30, 2008.
MHS girls break out brooms in Lawrence
September 12, 2007
Nobody sitting in Seabury Academy’s gym Thursday would have thought that McLouth High’s volleyball squad has had issues with its serving during its sweep of Elwood, 25-17, 25-16, and Seabury, 25-9, 25-11.
Injury bug riddles THS soccer
September 12, 2007
It’s not that the Tonganoxie boys soccer team hasn’t been playing hard lately. The Chieftains just can’t string together any goals.
Our View: Mayor’s resignation wouldn’t fit crime
September 12, 2007
There’s been much discussion since last week when news broke about Tonganoxie Mayor Mike Vestal disseminating an e-mail that included a sexist message and racist overtones.
Chieftain Stars standout to dance abroad in Paris
September 12, 2007
As Brittany Watson stepped off the basketball court after halftime, her friends congratulated her on what they thought was a remarkable dance.
THS held scoreless in defeat at Bishop Ward
September 12, 2007
Tonganoxie High coach Mark Elston admits he isn’t quite the gunslinger Bishop Ward senior John Oropeza is.
Can’t touch this
Baska celebrates birthday with win
September 12, 2007
Before Liz Baska warmed up for the Tonganoxie volleyball team’s home opener, she heard someone yelling her name from the student section.
City Council Briefs
September 12, 2007
The Record
September 12, 2007
Truancy program money questions persist
County, public school districts differ over who pays for program
September 12, 2007
Leavenworth County and public school superintendents in the county continue to bicker over how to pay for continuation of a truancy-reduction program.
Land acquisition nears for CR1 project
County, Turnpike Authority still have issues to iron out for interchange
September 12, 2007
Leavenworth County and the Kansas Turnpike Authority are approaching the land-acquisition stage in their quest to build a turnpike interchange south of Tonganoxie.