Chieftains take second at home invitational
The Tonganoxie High volleyball team finished second in its home invitational on Saturday.
THS won three games in pool play and gained a No. 1 seed for tournament play, which started at 2 p.m.
Earlier in the day in pool play, Tonganoxie defeated Gardner-Edgerton (25-13, 25-22), Perry-Lecompton (25-11, 25-15) and Ottawa (25-18, 25-17).
Once tournament play started, Tonganoxie defeated No. 2 seed Great Bend, 25-15, 25-15. Before losing to Tonaganoxie, Great Bend knocked Class 4A power Eudora out of the tournament. The Cardinals were the defending Class 4A state champions and the No. 1 Class 4A team in the state to start the season, according to the Kansas Volleyball Association rankings.
In the championship match, Tonganoxie (12-5) lost to Olathe East, a Class 6A school in the Sunflower League, 25-23, and 25-15.
THS seniors Sami Franiuk and Tracie Hileman were named to the 2007 All-Tournament team. Senior Hannah Herrstrom was named the tournament's best defensive player.
See Wednesday's edition of The Mirror for the full story.
More like this story
- Judge won't hear retrial of man who punched his attorney
- Tonganoxie vigil pays tribute to 21-year-old killed in Thursday morning wreck
- Kansas House passes teacher collective bargaining compromise
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers