THS junior injured in accident
A Tonganoxie High School junior was in fair condition Tuesday in a Kansas City, Mo., hospital after being involved in a two-vehicle accident last week in Lawrence.
Jackie Hewins, 16, rural Lawrence, is being treated at Children's Mercy Hospital.
The THS junior, according to Lawrence police, was driving a 1992 Toyota Camry south on North Second Street in Lawrence and was struck by a 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix traveling northbound on North Second Street. The Grand Prix was driven by Lacy Ingle, 17.
Hewins was extricated from the vehicle. Both drivers were taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital with injuries. Ingle was in fair condition during the weekend at LMH, but a hospital official at LMH could not be reached Tuesday for an update.
Hewins later was taken to Children's Mercy.
The accident occurred at 7:23 p.m. in the 600 block of North Second Street. Weather conditions are being investigated as a contributing factor.
More like this story
- O'Brien, Karleskint squaring off Tuesday in Republican primary in Kansas House District 42 race
- Kansas lawmakers seek to boost campaign contribution limits
- Southern Leavenworth County Leadership Development seeking applicants for 2015-16
- Tonganoxie youth wins NFL Punt, Pass and Kick competition
- Facebook and the election