THS junior injured in accident
A Tonganoxie High School junior was in fair condition Tuesday in a Kansas City, Mo., hospital after being involved in a two-vehicle accident last week in Lawrence.
Jackie Hewins, 16, rural Lawrence, is being treated at Children's Mercy Hospital.
The THS junior, according to Lawrence police, was driving a 1992 Toyota Camry south on North Second Street in Lawrence and was struck by a 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix traveling northbound on North Second Street. The Grand Prix was driven by Lacy Ingle, 17.
Hewins was extricated from the vehicle. Both drivers were taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital with injuries. Ingle was in fair condition during the weekend at LMH, but a hospital official at LMH could not be reached Tuesday for an update.
Hewins later was taken to Children's Mercy.
The accident occurred at 7:23 p.m. in the 600 block of North Second Street. Weather conditions are being investigated as a contributing factor.
More like this story
- Kansas lawmakers seek to boost campaign contribution limits
- Wanted: Mural ideas for Tonganoxie
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Kansas lawmakers seek classroom tweaks in school budget row