Tonganoxie baseball splits at Jeff West
Chieftains hit two long balls, improve to 3-1
The Tonganoxie High baseball team hit the road for the first time this season Tuesday and split a doubleheader with Jeff West.
The Chieftains easily won the second game 13-2 after losing to the Tigers, 9-8, in the first game.
THS led 8-5 in game one before Jeff West scored four in the bottom of the fifth.
Rob Schlicht, Tyler Lupton and Grant Ebbert each recorded two hits for the Chieftains in the one-run loss. Ebbert, the designated hitter, batted in four runs and hit a two-run homer, the team's first of the young season.
The Chieftains' 11-run victory in the second game featured the team's second four-bagger. That one came off the bat of Todd Brown on a grand slam.
Logan Forbis went 3-for-4 in the five-inning rout with three doubles and three RBI. Keith Wentz-Hall had two hits and Jace Waters knocked in two runs.
Starting pitcher Brandon Yoder threw all five innings and struck out three Tigers.
The Chieftains (3-1) return home on Thursday for a 4 p.m. game with Basehor.
More like this story
- Auction for KU basketball shirt to benefit memorial scholarship fund
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation
- Officials fear Kansas is complacent about tornado season
- Kansas City Connection: A new home for Halls
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets