Tree lighting ceremony Thursday; open houses planned
Santa Claus will be coming to town soon.
At 6:15 p.m. Thursday, festivities will begin for the annual Mayor’s Christmas Tree Lighting and the arrival of Santa Claus.
Tonganoxie Mayor Mike Vestal will lead the countdown for the tree lighting about 6:30 p.m. in the courtyard between Bitler’s restaurant and Richard Dean’s optometry office. After the lighting of the tree, Santa Claus is expected to make an appearance.
Everyone is welcome to join Santa as he heads to the Tonganoxie Public Library for gifts and to take part in the Festival of Mini Trees from 6:45-8 p.m. at the library, Third and Bury streets.
Winners of the Tonganoxie Recreation Commission’s Rudolph art contest will be named at the lighting. If youths are unable to see Santa Claus on Thursday, he’ll be back in town the next two Saturdays.
From 9 a.m. to noon this Saturday and next Saturday, Dec. 13, youths may see Santa at Amanna Elan, 220 S. Main.
And, as part of the downtown experience, businesses will have open houses those three hours both Saturdays for more opportunities for people to shop downtown during the holiday season.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie vigil pays tribute to 21-year-old killed in Thursday morning wreck
- Motorcycle-vehicle wreck near Tonganoxie sends 2 to KU Hospital
- Toddler hospitalized after being struck by lawn mower
- Donation account created for toddler injured in lawnmower accident
- Overland Park approves 165-mile bicycle network