National Weather Service issues winter storm warning
Snow and thunder expected overnight
The National Weather service has issued a winter storm warning until noon Wednesday for Leavenworth County and the surrounding area.
A mix of freezing rain, sleet and snow is heading from the center of the state to eastern Kansas and western Missouri sometime after 8 p.m. this evening. The mix will change into snow later this evening.
The weather service expects the snowfall to get heavier overnight with the possibility of embedded thunderstorms enhancing the snowfall.
Snow accumulations are expected to average between 6 to 10 inches. Winds are expected to reach 15 to 25 miles per hour causing significant snow blowing and drifting.
School cancellations will be posted at tonganoxiemirror.com as they are reported.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie superintendent's first court appearance is later this month in Linn County
- Topeka councilman, wife, charged with abusing children
- Stepmother of missing 7-year-old boy arrested in Kansas
- Tonganoxie USD 464 superintendent suspended with pay after arrest
- Tonganoxie superintendent pleads not guilty to alleged failure to report sex abuse at former school