THS wrestlers take third at league
Lansing The Tonganoxie High wrestling team finished in third place out of nine teams in Saturday's Kaw Valley League Wrestling Championships at Lansing High School.
THS (155 points) was neck-and-neck with Lansing, which finished in second place with 156 points, and Santa Fe Trail, which won the meet with 163 points.
The Chieftains had the lead before the finals round started. Unfortunately for THS, it went 0-6 in its first-place matches.
It was still a vast improvement from last year, when Matt Brock and Cameron Adcox were the only two Chieftains to make it into the finals rounds.
This year, Tonganoxie had six wrestlers place second in the finals: Kevin Hamm (119), Brock (130), Travis Adcox (140), Jeremie Maus (160), Zach Kaighin (189) and Cameron Adcox (285).
The Chieftains had three additional wrestlers win third-place matches: Jeff Ross (103), Wyatt Coffin (152) and Steve Davis (171).
This was the third consecutive year Brock took second in the 130 bracket at the league meet. Cameron Adcox won the 285 bracket last season.
Tonganoxie will travel to Perry-Lecompton on Friday for the regionals meet. The top four wrestlers from each weight class will advance to the Feb. 22-23 Class 4A state tournament at the Salina Bicentennial Center.
See the Feb. 13 edition of The Mirror for the full story.
More like this story
- Campers hit field for final instruction of summer
- Tonganoxie High baseball players, alums help area team win state USSSA baseball tournament
- For the love of many games
- Tonganoxie, McLouth student-athletes named to all-Lawrence Journal-World teams
- MIdnight run for Tonganoxie cross country spreads to other fall sports for first-practice tradition