Six Chieftains punch tickets to state
Perry Six Tonganoxie High wrestlers qualified for state at the 4A regional held at Perry-Lecompton High this weekend.
Matt Brock (130) solidified his spot on Friday by winning in the semi-finals and the junior won the regional championship on Saturday night with a 7-2 victory.
Cameron Adcox (285) also reached the championship round, but fell, 8-5, to finish second.
Four more Chieftains punched their tickets to next weekend's 4A state tournament in Salina by reaching the championship matches in their consolation brackets.
Junior Kevin Hamm (119), senior Travis Adcox (140), senior Wyatt Coffin (152) and Steve Davis (171) will all have a shot at a state championship.
Travis Adcox finished third at the regional, while Hamm, Coffin and Davis took fourth.
THS matched the program's previous record for state qualifiers in a season with six.
Although coach Jeremy Goebel thought the Chieftains might make history this weekend by sending seven or more to state, he was proud of all his grapplers.
"As a coach, you always hope for more, but every one of our kids wrestled hard," he said.
More like this story
- 'Cinderella' to be staged later this month
- 'Cinderella' to be staged this month at Tonganoxie Performing Arts Center
- Hello to summer in Tonganoxie
- Kansas City Connection: Dance festival, Big Picnic, Van Halen make braving summer heat worth it
- Kansas City Connection: Fourth of July fireworks, folk art at the Nelson