You're so vain :
You walked into the party like you were walking onto a yacht."
Your hat strategically dipped below one eye.
Your scarf it was apricot.
You had one eye in the mirror as you watched yourself gavotte.
And all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner
They'd be your partner, and ...
You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you
You're so vain, I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? Don't you?"
- Carly Simon
"Seventy percent of men think that other people would classify them as 'good-looking.' The average man spends 40 minutes a day in personal grooming, eight out of 10 men check their appearance in the mirror at least three times a day!"
- Ministry Currents '04
from Dr. Edwin Cole's book, "On becoming a Real Man."
Substitutes for men:
1. Money for affection: Many men would rather give their wives the checkbook than a warm embrace or a loving kiss. It's simply easier to give money than one's self.
2. Things for time: Many men would rather buy their children things than spend time with them. Even though the giving of self is the evidence of true love.
"Greater love hath no man, than he lay down his life for his friends." Jn. 15:13.
Substitutes for the church:
3. Talent for anointing: An evidence of relying on the external rather than on the internal. But we must realize that God commits to character, not talent.
4. Remorse for repentance: Sorrow for getting caught is not sorrow for having sinned. Human sorrow and Godly sorrow are as far apart as heaven and hell.
2 Cor. 7:9-11 Compared with Matt. 27:3 Judas' remorse.
5. Tradition for commandments: Churchianity and Christianity are incompatible. The Lord Jesus Christ rebuked those who substituted the traditions of men for the commandments of God. Matt. 5:1-11
6. Respectability for righteousness: We are not saved by our culture, but by the blood of Christ. Some people are better by nature than others are by grace, but natural graces are no substitute for saving grace.
7. Passion for obedience: Mistaking a mere emotional experience with God as a genuine love of God can cost you your soul. The evidence of love is obedience to the Word. If the Word of God does not have Lordship in your life, then Christ is not the Lord of your Life. Jn. 14:15
8. Status symbols for relationships: Stain-glass windows, spiritual exercises, or other aspects of the Christian life cannot be a substitute for a vital relationship with a living Lord.
This is why I place such a high priority on reaching men for the kingdom of God. As goes the man, so goes his family. There is no substitute for a man, a father, or a husband who honors God with his life. Guys, we would do well to get our eyes off ourselves and on to God. God is counting on you and so is your family!
- Dirk Scates is senior minister at Tonganoxie Christian Church.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie USD 464 lays out reasons for principal's termination
- Bill would prohibit public agencies and schools in Kansas from collecting union dues
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation
- Brownback urges Kansas House to pass GOP school funding plan
- Local attorney faces incumbent in school board race