Sorrentino’s Top 10
As some Tonganoxie residents already know, I've decided to take a job at the Lawrence Journal-World as a sports copy editor.
These last nine months at The Mirror were the nine most productive and exciting months of my professional career. It's been nothing short of a blast.
The future of The Mirror's sports department is in good hands. My replacement, Benton Smith, coincidentally covered Lawrence Free State High as I did before working in Tonganoxie.
When I thought about this column, I didn't want it to be about me. Sure, I'm excited to continue my career in Lawrence with an incredible opportunity ahead of me. Tonganoxie residents obviously have a right to know why I left. But it's really that simple.
With that said, I've decided to prove how much fun I've had in the nine months of my employment in Tonganoxie.
Tonganoxie and McLouth athletes have achieved quite a bit in my time here. I've decided to rank my Top 10 sports moments in the area during my time: June 2007 through February 2008.
Have fun reading the list. I know I had fun covering it.
10. THS girls basketball team wins Tonganoxie Invitational
The Chieftains won their third invitational crown in five years on Jan. 19.
9. Two McLouth alums witness Orange Bowl
As a KU alum, I wish I could have witnessed the historic Kansas Orange Bowl victory against Virginia Tech as KU alumnae Claudia Alterman and Kyrstan Perry did. It was great hearing stories from the KU equipment managers.
8. Roxi Grizzle wins Gatorade Kansas Track and Field Athlete of the Year
A great honor for the THS senior, who will throw the javelin in the collegiate ranks at Nebraska next season.
7. The bet
It was great seeing THS administration fire up the football team by shaving their heads if the Chieftains defeated the Santa Fe Trail Chargers on Sept. 28 for Homecoming. THS won, 19-6.
6. THS boys soccer scores four goals in 14 minutes on its way to beating Eudora
The Chieftains had only scored six goals all year before this scoring extravaganza on Oct. 10.
5. Learning THS teacher/coach Doug Sandburg went to high school with Shaquille O'Neal
Probably the most interesting interview I had in my nine months here. I think I could have talked to Sandburg about O'Neal stories for 10 years.
4. THS wrestlers win Randy Starcher Invitational on Jan. 12
It's been a historic year for THS coach Jeremy Goebel, who led his team to its first home invitational victory ever, with a complete field on hand.
3. Tonganoxie girls win volleyball sub-state
The atmosphere inside the THS gymnasium on Oct. 20 was surreal. Tonganoxie claimed its first state volleyball berth since 1993.
2. Tonganoxie High girls basketball defeats Basehor-Linwood in OT
Still the best high school basketball game I've seen all season. The THS girls defeated Basehor-Linwood, 50-44, in overtime on Jan. 25 at home. It was the first Bobcats loss of the season.
1. Tonganoxie High volleyball crowned third at state
This one was easy. Traveling to Salina in October 2007 to cover the Chieftains at state tops everything. It was the highest THS ever placed at state.
By no means was I rooting for Tonganoxie because that's a no-no in this profession. However, you couldn't help but appreciate how the eight THS seniors defeated Colby, Clearwater and Andover in the state tournament.
More like this story
- Kansas City streetcar construction to finish this fall
- Work on new Tonganoxie City Hall starting on Fourth Street
- Tonganoxie citywide garage sale is Saturday
- Tonganoxie City Council hears concerns about sesquicentennial road closures
- Tonganoxie citywide garage sales, Leavenworth County cleanup events Saturday