Sheriff’s office continues to investigate possible shooting of Linwood girl
Leavenworth County Sheriff's officers continue to investigate the injury of a 5-year-old girl who is in critical condition following a possible gunshot wound to the head. Emergency response crews from Leavenworth County and Sherman Township were dispatched to a home on the 12400 block of 170th Street, east of Linwood, at 4:40 p.m. Saturday, responding to a 911 call.
Leavenworth County Sheriff David Zoellner said the girl and her two brothers were playing in their yard when the boys heard a noise that sounded like a clap. The girl fell to the ground, and the boys called their father, who found the girl bleeding from the head. The girl was unconscious by the time medics arrived.
The girl was taken to Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Mo., where she remained in critical condition Sunday night.
Zoellner said an investigation is under way, but the sheriff's office does not believe the injury was the result of a crime. He said there is no suspect at this time and urged anyone with information to call the Leavenworth County Sheriff's Office detective unit at (913) 758-4082.
More like this story
- Former Kansas superintendent and 2 others sue over firings
- Kansas City Connection: Char Bar, Sleater-Kinney, Zubaz and giant Lego sculptures
- Kansas governor talks tax policy with Missouri lawmakers
- Long VA waits less of a problem in Kansas than elsewhere
- Kansas City Connection: The return of the Royals, and showtime for Middle of the Map