County staffers look to preserve cemeteries
Leavenworth County staff, township board members, members of various cemetery boards and private workers have recently stepped up efforts to preserve rural cemeteries in the county that have long since been overgrown to the point of disrepair.
County geographic information systems director Jeff Culbertson said Monday that during the past two years roughly 35 unkempt cemeteries have been identified and his department has compiled a database with around 40,000 lost records of Leavenworth County burials to aid residents or genealogists looking for ancestors or other historical information.
Look in upcoming editions of The Mirror for more on this story.
More like this story
- KSU students to go on the road to care for shelter animals
- 8 years after tornado, Greensburg to have theater again
- Some Tonganoxie residents unhappy with roaming buffalo
- Kansas City Connection: The return of the Royals, and showtime for Middle of the Map
- Kansas City Connection: A bakery to satisfy your cookie addiction