Lightning strikes Tonganoxie home
Residents along East Eighth Street in Tonganoxie were startled Monday morning at around 11:30 a.m. when a bolt of lightning struck a home at 830 E. 8th St. owned by Joan Cronemeyer.
Firefighters with the Tonganoxie Fire Department responded to the scene, where they encountered minor structural damage to the roof and siding of the home.
Fire chief Dave Bennett said his crew noticed burn marks where siding from the house had been blown off and used a thermal imaging device to make sure there was nothing still smoldering.
Other than a blown breaker and ripped paneling, though, no other damage was reported.
"They're lucky," Bennett said, from the shelter of a neighbor's garage Monday.
Rhonda Boice, who rents the property from Cronemeyer, would not comment any further than saying that no one was harmed by the lightning strike.
More like this story
- Derby police to give school officers body cameras
- Kansas weighing rules for handling eyewitnesses to crimes
- Kansas' criminal forfeiture law, among nation's toughest, faces bipartisan effort to change
- Kansas Senate bill seeks municipalities’ traffic ticket revenues
- Standard often cited in Kansas pension debates questioned