Pastor’s corner: Steve Howell
I mow my grass and fertilize my lawn, but I still can't approach the side of my house without a machete. The weeds have systematically overtaken my walls!
This overgrowth could have been avoided if my weed trimmer had worked properly, but the initial cutting of the season rendered my trimmer useless and tangled. I "fixed" it as best I could and tried again, but the results were the same. Nothing I did could fix the problem. I tried different lengths, different formations, different thicknesses and all I got were some scars on my legs as the line whipped me into submission. And still the weeds grew.
My house became a visual reminder of one of Jesus' parables. In Luke 8:5-8, Jesus talks about a man who sowed seed. Some seeds fell on a path and were eaten by birds, others fell on rocky soil and wilted because of poor roots. My house reminds me of the third option, where seeds were choked out by weeds and thorns. The final seeds fell in good soil and produced a harvest.
Jesus' point was not about farming or lawn care, but about lives that can be transformed by God. Your life might be the path, or the rocky soil, or the thorn patch. But God wants it to be good soil where he can bring about growth.
My house reminded me that it's never too late to improve your soil. Though it is nearly July, I just bought a new weed trimmer that can eliminate my overgrown weeds. And I know that I can make similar changes in my spiritual life to eliminate barriers, thorns, and rocks that might stand in God's way.
God wants to make a difference in your life, too. Is your soil ready?
- Steve Howell is minister of adult education at Tonganoxie Christian Church.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie USD 464 officials urging parents to apply online to assist in potential state aid
- 2 Kansas school districts to close early because of budgets
- Reopening Riddle Boys Ranch concerns some Kansas schools
- Kansas State, other state universities see enrollment drop
- Changes in funding could change online offerings in Kansas