Movie could be filmed in area
Movie production crews could be coming to Tonganoxie.
Helen Ihrer, owner of Helen's Hilltop restaurant and bar on Kansas Highway 16 about 2 miles west of Tonganoxie, said Thursday plans are in the works for portions of the movie "Welcome to Macon County" to be filmed at her establishment.
Director James East of the Kansas City area, whose sister is good friends with Ihrer, hopes to shoot the movie this summer, Ihrer said.
"It's tentatively supposed to be shot here," Ihrer said. "In the summer sometime. In July more than likely."
The movie is to be a remake and expansion of "Macon County Line," a 1974 movie in which Max Baer Jr. wrote, produced and starred. The son of former heavyweight boxing champion Max Baer, he is best known for portraying Jethro Bodine in the television show "The Beverly Hillbillies."
Ihrer is thrilled about the possibility that a movie will be filmed at her business.
"I'm really excited," Ihrer said. "Just the fact that I know the guy, No. 1, and that he chose here No. 2.
"He could have chosen any other place in America."
More like this story
- It's always a day of sweat treats in Tonganoxie
- Kansas bill would require parental consent for sex education
- Kansas' broad marijuana bill attracts bulk of GOP votes
- Kansas City Connection: Eating recommendations for moms (and everyone else)
- Tonganoxie group hopes for 'yes' vote in mail ballot election