Tonganoxie woman wins thousands in lottery
Christine Courtney isn't $4.6 million richer, but she's OK with that.
The Tonganoxie resident and her fiancee, Michael McGhee, stopped May 24 in Lawrence at Presto, 1030 N. Third, to purchase $1 worth of Powerball, Super Kansas Cash and Hot Lotto.
While watching the news, the couple wrote down all of the Powerball and Kansas Cash numbers, but didn't catch the final numbers.
"I already knew we matched four numbers when I called," McGhee said. "When the hotline said what the fifth number was, I couldn't believe it, so I hung up before I heard what the Hot Ball was. We were too afraid to find out if we were millionaires and decided to go to sleep."
Courtney said the couple took the anticipation a step further.
"We even went so far as to tape newspaper on our television so we couldn't see the winning numbers scroll on the bottom of the T.V. screen," said Courtney. "We had a great time dreaming how we'd spend the millions if we actually did win. It's scary to think about."
The next day, the couple realized they didn't match the Hot Ball, and, therefore, did not win the $4.6 million jackpot.
"We're very blessed to have won $10,000," said McGhee. "I can't believe we missed the jackpot by only three numbers." The winning hot ball number was 7; Courtney had 4.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie police calls, Feb. 20-March 1, 2015
- Tonganoxie police calls, March 25-April 9, 2015
- Tonganoxie City Fire Department fire calls, April 13-May 3, 2015
- Tonganoxie police looking for information regarding case of man trying to lure middle school student into vehicle
- Tonganoxie box social proves to be lucrative fundraiser