The National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch for Leavenworth County. The watch will be in effect until 10 p.m. Other area counties in the tornado watch include Johnson and Wyandotte counties.
In addition to the tornado watch, the NWS has also issued a flood warning for areas in the county near the Missouri River.
The service warns that six inches of flowing water can cause a driver to lose control of their vehicle and two feet of water can carry away most vehicles.
There is a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 4 p.m. The NWS states that the storms could be severe and could contain large hail and damaging winds.
More like this story
- While Kansas sees fewer earthquakes, more than ever rattle Oklahoma
- Tonganoxie football blanks Bishop Ward, 42-0
- Lansing spoils Tonganoxie homecoming game with big second half
- Kansas City Connection: The art of ‘Rising Up,’ and visiting some old haunts
- Kansas school aid debate raises tough issues for lawmakers