Allen Smelser, representing Stanwood Friends Church, and his friend, Adam Monaghan, participated in “Run for Missions,” a 100-mile run to raise scholarship funds for Evangelical Friends Missions, supporting college and graduate students “called” to serve on the Friends Mission Field.
The run began at 6:30 a.m. Monday in Wichita, then wound through Kingman and Pratt counties on country roads, as runners moved through the city of Pratt in the middle of the night, and arrived at the finish line crossing celebration in Haviland at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
If you would like to contribute to Allen’s efforts to support this ministry fund, tax-deductible donations are still welcome. You may make your donation by writing a check to “EFC-MAYM,” memo: “Run for Missions;” send to EFC-MAYM, 2018 Maple, Wichita 67213. Deadline is November 15.
• American Legion Auxiliary No. 393 will sponsor a soup luncheon and bake sale at the Community Center on Saturday. Doors open at 10 a.m. Lunch will be served from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Proceeds from their fundraisers remain in the McLouth community, distributed to scholarships and Girls State delegates.
• McLouth Public Library’s Book Discussion Group will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday. For more information, please call (913) 796-2225.
• The Veterans Day Parade in downtown Leavenworth begins at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
• McLouth Parent Teachers Organization will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 13, in the high school home economics room. Babysitting will be provided.
• “Our Community Cares” for our troops serving overseas. A group of volunteers will meet from 10 to 11 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 15, at the McLouth Community Center to pack boxes for mailing.
• If you have a family member or friend serving overseas and would like for them to receive a package, please bring your small items for packaging, as well as names and accurate military addresses. Postage is approximately $10 per box. Some suggested items are: hard candy, beef jerky, chewing gum, individual drink mixes for bottled water, magazines of all kinds (especially local interest), homemade cookies (double-bagged in Ziploc bags) and disposable washcloths (wet wipes).
“Our Community Cares” welcomes money donations for postage. Boxes and customs forms will be furnished. Volunteers will deliver the packed boxes to the Post Office.
— Please submit McLouth community information, announcements, and upcoming events to Beverly Muzzy: email@example.com or (913) 796-6935.