School board approves additional math teacher at Tonganoxie Middle School
At Monday’s Tonganoxie School Board meeting, board members approved adding a math teacher at the middle school. TMS principal Jill Dickerson said the additional position was being requested to assist the workload of the current math staff at TMS. And, the teacher would be utilized to teach impact classes, in which students who are struggling with match courses would receive instruction that would provide more assistance with the issues they’re having in that subject.
That, in turn, Dickerson said, would help address lower test scores in math and help the district’s standing with the state’s annual yearly progress reports.
The board approved adding the position, 6-0, with Darlyn Hansen absent.
Dickerson will be searching immediately for a teacher to fill the position. She said she already has done some legwork, as she’s talked with students at Emporia State University who will graduate in December. Board member Mildred McMillon noted that math teachers might come out of retirement as well to fill the position.
For more on this, and other school board topics, pick up a copy of the Nov. 12 edition of The Mirror.
More like this story
- Education focus: Dwayne Peaslee Technical Training Center prepares for fall push
- Tonganoxie student finds giant morel mushroom after heavy rain
- Leavenworth County Sheriff's Office warns of peak time for deer accidents
- Kansas City Connection: Pick up a unique gift at an upcoming arts and crafts fair
- Antler broker flourishes in his Delphos business