On Nov. 2, the annual Thanksgiving Fellowship Dinner at the Tonganoxie Friends Church was served. Among the 33 attending were Lloyd and Margaret Smelser, Viola Edmonds, Charlene Snell, Beverly Muzzy, John and Peggy Cox, and Bob and Alfreda Ryan, all of McLouth. Special invited guests were the members of the Stanwood Friends Church.
• Welcome home, Captain Shawn Miller. A special assembly will be held to honor Captain Miller, a teacher who has just returned from serving our country in Iraq. CPT Miller served as Commander of Charlie Battery, 1st Battalion, 161 Field Artillery, Kansas National Guard. Miller teaches seventh- and eighth-grade science at McLouth Middle School and has worked as an assistant coach on the McLouth High School football team. Everyone is invited to attend and welcome him home at 8:15 a.m. Thursday in the Gold Gym at McLouth High School.
• McLouth Parent Teachers Organization will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday in the McLouth High School home economics room. Babysitting will be provided.
• McLouth/Jefferson County Fire District No. 9 welcomes you to its annual pancake feed from 6:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday at the McLouth Fire Station. This is the department’s annual fundraiser.
• “Our Community Cares” for our troops serving overseas. Volunteers will meet from 10-11 a.m. Saturday at the McLouth Community Center to pack boxes for mailing.
If you have a family member or friend serving overseas and would like for them to receive a package, please bring your small items for packaging, as well as names and accurate military addresses. Postage is approximately $10 per box.
Some suggested items are: hard candy, beef jerky, chewing gum, individual drink mixes for bottled water, magazines of all kinds (especially local interest), homemade cookies (double-bagged in Ziploc bags) and disposable washcloths (wet wipes).
“Our Community Cares” welcomes money donations for postage. Boxes and Customs Forms will be furnished. Volunteers will deliver the packed boxes to the post office.
• McLouth Friendship Club’s Covered Dish Luncheon will be at 11:30 a.m. Monday at the Community Center. All adults 50 and older are welcome. Please bring a covered dish to share, and your table service. If you need a ride, the Jefferson County Services Organization vehicle (with limited seating) is available to residents within a one-mile radius of McLouth. Please call Charlotte Robinson to make your reservation for a ride: (913) 796-6798.
Parents As Teachers in conjunction with Jefferson County Early Childhood Council, is organizing its fourth annual Santa Express Toy Fair to help Jefferson County Families have a better Christmas. They need donations of new or gently used toys and books. Toys are for ages 0–8 years. Donation boxes will be placed at the McLouth Public Library and Open Arms Preschool from Nov. 17–Dec. 4.
• McLouth Public Library is offering Adult Craft Classes at 6:30 p.m. Monday. Please call to register, as space is limited: (913) 796-2225. All materials will be provided by the library free of charge.
• McLouth Public Library and “Parents As Teachers” invite you to attend “Kansas Reads to Preschoolers” at 10 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 19 at the library. “Bear Feels Sick” by Karma Wilson is the selected book. Bring your child’s favorite stuffed animal to the “doctor” for a check-up.
• Please note: “Parents As Teachers” playgroup that was scheduled for 10 a.m. Monday, Nov. 20 has been canceled. Instead, please come to the “Kansas Read to Preschoolers” event on Nov. 19.
— Please submit McLouth Community information, announcements, and upcoming events to Beverly Muzzy: email@example.com or (913) 796-6935.