Letter to the editor: Taxes far from “privilege”
To the editor:
We received our real estate tax statement a few days ago and I am wondering when the taxes will be reduced according to what we could sell for with the downturn in housing.
There are seven bond issues and then the most laughable a “solid waste” charge.
Let me explain what we pay nearly $3,000 in taxes for: The “PRIVILEGE” of a dirt road that is poorly maintained, propane heat, septic system and no trash service. My husband, who is near 70, loads our trash bags on the truck and goes to the solid waste facility. We have no children in school and the only service we have ever used is emergency service when I had another heart attack, so I am asking someone to explain how the taxes we struggle to pay on a fixed income are actually a “privilege.”
More like this story
- Tonganoxie USD 464 lays out reasons for principal's termination
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation
- Wichita School District to use bus drivers as custodians
- Outgoing Tonganoxie superintendent to take administrative position in Topeka
- Tongnoxie USD 464 board cuts teacher position, freshman athletics events