Sunflower State Games announces lineup
A record 43 sports will be offered to Kansas residents for competition in the 20th anniversary of the Sunflower State Games in 2009.
Complete sport information, guidelines and registration information can be found at sunflowergames.com.
Registration for all events opens May 1. The amateur multisports festival will be July 10-26 at sites throughout Topeka.
Athletes will compete in 43 different sports including six new events: fencing, gymnastics, hot shot, junior rodeo, paintball and strongman.
Returning to the games this year is the Athlete Festival Friday, July 17, at Hummer Sports Park.
The festival is open to all athletes and volunteers and will include the annual lighting of the torch, the 5K/10K Governor’s Cup Road Race and much more.
The Sunflower State Games also is seeking volunteers to assist with a variety of duties that it takes host the event. Volunteer forms can be downloaded at sunflowergames.com.
The Sunflower State Games is a non-profit organization based out of Topeka. The games are played annually in July and its purpose is to promote physical fitness, personal health and well-being for Kansans of all ages and skill levels.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie box social proves to be lucrative fundraiser
- Efforts to repeal Kansas death penalty may be stymied by U.S. Supreme Court's ruling
- Tonganoxie Sesquicentennial logo unveiled; community band expected to make return
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets
- Kansas efficiency consultants outline $2 billion in savings, efficiencies over five years