Schaffer, Smith make all-area team
Tonganoxie High’s Keaton Schaffer and Austin Smith were named to the Lawrence Journal-World’s all-area boys basketball team.
Smith, an all-Kaw Valley League first-teamer, nearly averaged a double-double for the Chieftains this season, finishing with averages of 13 points and 9 rebounds per game. The senior also added nearly two steals per game to his stat line. Smith was named the Most Inspirational Athlete at the Tonganoxie Invitational and the Channel 6 Hy-Vee High School Scholar Athlete of the Month for February.
Schaffer, a 6-foot-2 junior guard who was all-state honorable mention, was a scoring machine for the Chieftains this winter, averaging 16.4 points per game while chipping in 4 rebounds and 2 assists per game in the process. Like Smith, Schaffer was named first-team all-Kaw Valley League and landed on the all-tourney teams at the Paola Invitational and Tonganoxie Invitational.
More like this story
- Kansas fantasy writer's penchant for the unexpected appeals to international audiences
- Madrigal Feaste brings in more than 400 for this year's two-night holiday event
- Wheat harvest tradition returns across Kansas
- Face to Face: Tonganoxie's Patrick Budy
- McConnell helps airman cope with loss of infant son