Chieftains fall at Mill Valley
Shawnee The Chieftains were unable to fire a single shot during a frigid, windy 5-0 loss at Mill Valley on Monday.
Mill Valley's offense maintained possession for the bulk of the game, but some off-target shooting as well as some stingy THS defense kept the game close for quite a while.
Mill Valley took a 1-0 lead in the sixth minute when Mill Valley's Kyndra Zeigler fired a shot that deflected to teammate Kaitlyn Butko, who buried the follow-up shot inside the near post for a 1-0 lead.
The Jaguars had numerous chances during the next 31 minutes but were unable to add to their lead. Time and again THS goalkeeper Alex Bartels made saves or the THS defense swarmed a Mill Valley attacker in time to
force a shot off-target.
MVHS finally netted its second goal with 3:34 left in the first half as Zeigler sent a low corner kick across the front of the goal, past Bartels and inside the far post for a 2-0 lead.
The Jaguars added three more goals in the second half.
Tonganoxie (1-2) is back in action Thursday when the Chieftains play host to De Soto at 6 p.m.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Ugly sweaters, Legos for adults and KU basketball at the Sprint Center
- KU's lavish shrine to Naismith's 'Rules of Basket Ball' takes shape
- Tonganoxie HIgh teammates sign to play volleyball on collegiate level
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Visitors to Grinter Farms near Tonganoxie encouraged to be a part of social media sunflower 'guestbook'