THS softball loses two at home
The Tonganoxie High softball team couldn’t find quite enough runs to knock off visiting Turner on Tuesday night and ended up with a pair of losses — 6-4 and 7-4.
If it wasn’t for a big, five-run inning from Turner in the fourth frame of the second contest, the Chieftains might have been able to notch their first victory.
THS (0-5) tied the game at a run apiece in the third. Kailan Kuzmic reached base on an infield single and got to third base after back-to-back hits from Kaitlyn Wolken and Tiffany Jacobs. Makayla Leslie then hit a grounder and Kuzmic beat a throw home to give Tonganoxie its first run.
Down 6-1 entering the bottom half of the fourth, THS kept things close with two more runs. Nikki Pennington started the inning by nailing a single down the left-field line. McKenzie Knight and Lauren Himpel followed with singles of their own to load the bases. Pennington scored on a fielder’s choice and Himpel cut the lead to three when Wolken drove her in on a sacrifice fly.
Leslie scored Tonganoxie’s last run in the fifth after reaching on an error. Pennington drove her in with a bloop single. Pennington finished the game 3-for-4.
Tiffany Jacobs and Knight each went 2-for-4.
Jacobs pitched seven full innings in the loss.
More like this story
- Kansas considers changes to policies for state workers
- Linenberger: Brownback's decision on LGBT protections should trigger public action
- State board told Attorney General's office can't advise it
- Kansas lawmakers seek to boost campaign contribution limits
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers