Yates wins Lansing Invitational
Tonganoxie High freshman golfer Colby Yates won his second tournament of the season on Monday at the Leavenworth Country Club.
Yates shot 77 at the Lansing Invitational, leading the Chieftains to a fourth-place finish.
THS shot 353, which put the team one stroke out of third and just seven strokes behind team champion Lansing.
Dalton Lawson finished 11th with a score of 87, Justin Jacobs shot a 92, Tanner Hale finished with 97, Kody Campbell was behind him at 98 and Mitch DeHoff ended with 100 strokes.
Tonganoxie coach Jared Jackson was happy with the team’s play, even though THS entered the day aiming to score in the 340s.
“Once we started playing, the winds really started blowing and I knew the scores tournament-wide would be higher,” Jackson said. “Our team really battled the elements, and for the most part they didn't let the wind discourage them.”
Next on the schedule, the Chieftains travel to Osawatomie on Saturday for what Jackson anticipates to be another tough tournament, featuring a field of 20 teams.
“A top-five placing there would be a great accomplishment,” Jackson said.
More like this story
- Union Pacific plans to spend $120 million on Kansas rail
- Truck crashes into dugout at Kansas baseball field
- Education focus: JCCC CDL training puts students in the driver's seat for a new career
- Topeka woman killed when bicycle hit by truck
- Tonganoxie police looking for information regarding case of man trying to lure middle school student into vehicle