Tonganoxie man killed in motorcycle-car accident
A car-motorcycle accident late Saturday morning claimed the life of a Tonganoxie man on U.S. Highway 24-40.
Joseph C. Smith, 60, who was driving a 2004 Harley-Davidson motorcycle, died from injuries sustained in the accident, which occurred at a Tonganoxie intersection.
Just before 11:20 a.m. Saturday, Marsha E. Baker, 45, Altamont, was stopped at Ridge Street and U.S. Highway 24-40 in a 1998 Ford car. She then pulled onto U.S. Highway 24-40 and struck the side of Smith’s motorcycle, which was traveling east on U.S. 24-40, according to a Kansas Highway Patrol report. Smith, who was thrown from the motorcycle, was wearing a helmet, according to a KHP official.
Smith was taken by air ambulance to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., where he was pronounced dead, the highway patrol report said.
Baker, who was wearing a seatbelt, was not injured in the crash.
More like this story
- Basehor man sent to area hospital after motorcycle-car accident Sunday
- Two Tonganoxie residents sent to hospital following motorcycle accident
- Tonganoxie man killed in motorcycle accident on U.S. 24-40
- Local man killed in motorcycle accident on U.S. 24-40
- Leavenworth man killed in accident east of Tonganoxie