Family Walk and Run 5K rescheduled; bike rodeo still a go
Unsuitable course conditions have forced Family Walk and Run 5K organizers to postpone the event.
Barb Gurss, Tonganoxie High School physical education instructor, said Friday the event had to be rescheduled because of the recent rainfall. Not able to conduct the event on the soggy course near Tonganoxie Middle School, organizers have rescheduled it for a week later, 8 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 29.
Another activity planned for after the event, the City of Tonganoxie's Safe Routes to School Bike Rodeo in the TMS south parking lot. At the bike rodeo, three stations will be set up to teach children how to properly ride on the street, negotiate intersections and signal turns.
Volunteers will be on hand to put each bicycle through a safety inspection to make sure the bike is roadworthy.
Bike helmets are required for the event where fitters will be available to make sure the helmets fit correctly. The first 100 kids without bike helmets will be given a free bike helmet. Youths will practice bike safety drills as well.
In addition, officers from the Lansing Police Department will be on hand teaching parents about safely choosing and installing car seats.
More like this story
- Efforts to repeal Kansas death penalty may be stymied by U.S. Supreme Court's ruling
- Death penalty in white supremacist case a tricky proposition
- Kansas jury recommends death for Ottawa quadruple murderer
- Kansas court's approval of death sentence not seen as shift
- Kansas official seeks to save funds to treat drug offenders