Weekend accident sends three people to area hospitals
Three people were injured after a two-vehicle wreck Saturday west of Tonganoxie, according to the Leavenworth County Sheriff’s office.
Undersheriff Ron Cranor said two vehicles collided at 6:40 p.m. when a 1990 Honda Civic that was headed south on 251st Street attempted to cross Kansas Highway 16 in front of a westbound semitrailer.
The collision caused the car to spin into a ditch where it caught fire. The semitrailer, driven by a contract mail carrier, rolled onto its side in the ditch.
The driver of the Honda, Shawn D. King, 29, of Eudora, was taken to Overland Park Regional Medical Center, where he was treated and released.
The driver of the truck, James M. Wilks Jr., 33, of Perry, was also taken to the Overland Park hospital, where he was treated and later released.
Cranor said officers expect King to be charged with driving under the influence, but King was not arrested after the wreck because he was taken to the hospital.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie groups continue to evaluate future options for shared buildings
- Tonganoxie Mayor candidate questionnaire: Jason Ward
- Kansas ponders new protections for campus religious groups
- Analysis: Kansas abortion ruling could have sweeping effects
- Quapaw tribe seeks dismissal of lawsuit over casino plans