Firefighters tend to flue fire at rural Tonganoxie home for five hours; structure a total loss, reports say
A flue fire left a rural Tonganoxie as a total loss Wednesday night.
According to Leavenworth County Sheriff's report, the fire, which started about 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, started in the chimney of a wood-burning furnace in the basement of a home at 25171 DeHoff Dr. in rural Tonganoxie. Steve L. Smith was the owner of the home, reports said. The fire then spread to the attic and the roof.
Firefighters fought the fire for roughly four hours before they were able to get it under control and fought flare-ups for another hour after that. The residents were able to exit the house without injury.
According to Lt. Darren Shepherd with the Reno Township Fire Department, the fire “basically burned it off,” referring to the house's roof. The house, a one-story structure with a walk-out basement, also sustained water damage, Shepherd said.
Reno, Stranger, Sherman and Sarcoxie township fire departments, as well as Tonganoxie and Lawrence city fire departments, responded to the fire call.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie High golfers nab 6th place at regional event
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Spring season opens for local teams
- Kansas City Connection: Char Bar, Sleater-Kinney, Zubaz and giant Lego sculptures
- Kansas City Connection: The return of the Royals, and showtime for Middle of the Map