Area braces for winter storm
The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning for Leavenworth and neighboring counties.
The storm system, which is moving from the southern plains, is expected to create a significant winter storm Thursday and Friday.
The winter storm warning will be in effect from 3 p.m. Thursday to 6 p.m. Friday
The weather service reports that rain may change to freezing rain and sleet as early as Thursday afternoon through Thursday evening. The mixed precipitation will then switch to snow. Six to nine inches of snow may accumulate by Friday afternoon.
The weather service also warns that ice and sleet accumulations up to a tenth of an inch will be possible through Thursday afternoon.
Sustained northwest winds of up to 30 mph, with higher wind gusts, will develop Thursday afternoon through Friday. The weather service states that the winds will create extensive blowing and drifting of snow and near blizzard conditions, which can make traveling extremely hazardous.
The weather service cautions holiday travelers to leave Wednesday or make alternative plans as well as take precautionary actions.
More like this story
- Winter storm warning for Christmas Eve, Christmas day
- Winter storm upgraded to blizzard
- NWS issues winter storm warning for region; 3-6 inches of sleet and snow possible
- National Weather Service issues winter storm warning
- Up to 10 inches of snow possible in Tonganoxie area; winter storm warning in effect though Monday