House fire starts with furnace malfunction
Fairmount Township Fire Department, Lansing District No. 1, Stranger Township and the Tonganoxie Rapid Intervention team responded to a call of a house fire at approximately 1:30 p.m. Monday on 163rd Street in Basehor.
Fairmount Public Information Officer Gayln Gorup said firefighters were told the fire started with a furnace malfunction. A repairman was relighting the home’s furnace, and the flame flashed back into his face. The fire then ignited, Gorup said, and spread to an interior wall of the house. Residents of the home tried to extinguish the flames with a garden hose, Gorup said, but were unsuccessful and called for emergency services.
It took firefighters nearly 40 minutes to control the fire. Gorup estimated the home sustained approximately $40,000 in damage.
The repairman’s hair was singed, Gorup said, and his face was red, but he refused treatment. No other injuries occurred as a result of the fire.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie Public Library officials talk building future with City Council
- Letters to the editor: New Tonganoxie library needed; Former board member favors new library
- Tonganoxie City Council determines ballot question wording
- Tonganoxie Mayor candidate questionnaire: Jason Ward
- Proposed amendment would end Kansas grocery sales tax