Archive for Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Letter to the editor: Resident ashamed of board’s decision

January 14, 2009

To the editor:

Tonight I am ashamed to be represented by a school board that has chosen to place small-town politics and personal grudges before the welfare of our students. In failing to renew Dr. Erickson’s contract one year before his planned retirement they have not only removed one of the most honorable men I have ever known from the position, they have also put the district in the unnecessary predicament of having to rush to hire his replacement.

The only thing Dr. Erickson has done is to stand up and be accountable for whatever mistakes he may have made, while the board has been more than happy to use him as a scapegoat in its attempt to distance itself from its own failures.

Not that it comes as any surprise when at least one board member made it very clear while running that their primary objective was to remove Dr. Erickson from his position. Two years ago, I ran for a position on the board. Now I am considering pulling my child out of the district, if for no other reason than to protect him from such small-minded people and personal vendettas. I appreciate and respect those board members who fought for Dr. Erickson, and I thank Dr. Erickson for so selflessly serving our children.

Bill Weatherford,

Tonganoxie

Comments

Bob_Busk 5 years, 7 months ago

Bill, Almost everyone I speak with in Tonganoxie voices the same sentiments as yours. How could the board vote him out with SO much community support. It was something like 80% (+) in favor of keeping the superintendent.

Bill, reconsider running for the board this year!! We need you to bring balance, honesty and integrity back to the board.

Leslie, Smith, Baragary and Tate, you ladies should resign immediately. You're a disgrace to this proud community.

tongiegirl 5 years, 7 months ago

Bill You should take your kids out of this district and take you business with you.

karlyew 5 years, 7 months ago

Hey tongiegirl. If you are so proud of what you have to say, post your name for all to see!!! At least Bill wasn't too cowardly to post his.

tongiegirl 5 years, 7 months ago

And I wish people would stop blaming the Theno family for everything that goes wrong with the school system. I have watched for years what this family has gone throught and I get sick of it. I am sorry to Bill for what I said, I did say it out of anger..Bill I am so sorry. The Theno's did what they had to. Has anyone thanked them for bringing this problem to the front of the classroom???? I believe that the bulling problem has been looked at from all district employees and they all are working on how to stop it. Someone had to stop it. I hope that the people of Tongie will let this issue die down. I do know that the Theno family has. Dr Weatherford I am sorry.

getagrip 5 years, 7 months ago

Maybe someone should do some research on Kansas employment law. Can the Board really discuss in public their reasons for non-renewal? Isn't that why they have executive session....."to discuss personnel and matters relating to attorney/client privilege"? Has anyone thought just maybe the Board is doing Erickson a favor by not giving specifics as to their decision in public?

Bob_Busk 5 years, 7 months ago

WOW, tongiegirl, do you harbor some hate or what?

Bill,

I repeat that you should run for the school board. We need your integrity and compassion on the board. Your presence will return some modicum of dignity to that forum.

Bob

AmyH 5 years, 7 months ago

Bob, I was about to ask you the same thing you asked tongiegirl. You have unhealthy hate for Alan Theno. I have to ask why? PLEASE TELL US. Is it because this man took on an issue that has gone on for years and he knew it was time for it to stop? Is it because his son won? Was you a child bully? You are a bully now. Alan Theno is not on the school board so why are you so mad at him? I hope he throws his hat in the race one more time because I will vote for him one more time.
I believe that alot of people have learned form this lawsuit, I hope that it is being stoped in the classroom. Teacher go throught countless hours of inservices to learn more on bulling, but you BOB you have have not learned anything from the lawsuit. Im sorry for you. I hope you tell everyone just why you dislike Mr. Theno.

AmyH 5 years, 7 months ago

The Alan Theno bashing by Bob can be found under the the article of firing of Dr E. Sorry Bill that this is all under your letter.

Didnt tongiegirl say sorry?

Bob_Busk 5 years, 7 months ago

Amy H.

I don't hate Alan, I've known him for some time. When this was going on he threatened me and harassed me because I knew the facts behind the case. I know the history of what happened and I know how he felt about his son not being the son he hoped he'd be. Alan projected that perceived failure on the district and blamed everyone but himself. Then he took money from every resident of the school district. If you pay property taxes, you paid Alan whether you liked it or not, whether it was fair or not.

Tongiegirl said sorry? So what, her true feelings were expressed and her true intollerance was exposed. She was attempting to bully Doc W. Doc wasn't going to let himself be bullied. Alan Theno bullied us residents that pay taxes.

Theno for school board, we'd be in real trouble then. His qualifications as a delivery driver for Kmart would be transfered to the management of a school district spending millions and oversite of a thousand children, hundreds of employees, that sounds like a comparable skill set to delivery driver? N O T !

AmyH 5 years, 7 months ago

Bob I to have known Alan for some time. I am mad as hell that you bring up his job. He is not a delivery driver, he is a freight handler. I know this because my husband and father-in-law both work at Sears Holdings. Why do you put people down who get out of bed and go to work everyday? What line of work do you do? Never mind I dont care what you do, that is not what we are here for. Just what are the qualifications to run for school board? I guess you cant work in a warehouse. In your other bolg you said you did not know that Tate was a man. What part of DOUG says he is a she???? Did you not read the whole names of our school board member? Maybe you will have the chance to meet Doug Tate when he is doing his everyday job! :)
If I were to bet on this. I would bet that you have a child who was part of the Theno case, and that is the reason you are so upset with the Thenos. Am I right? Will you tell me the truth? To all the school board members, thank you for your time on Monday nights. Job well down.

Bob, thank you for getting back to me.