Police begin to turn away spectators from parade route
Washington Law enforcement officials say the inauguration parade route is approaching capacity but most checkpoints remain open.
Secret Service spokesman Malcolm Wiley says the entrance at 13th and E streets has closed for the day. It was the only one of 13 checkpoints closed permanently.
People were being directed to other checkpoints to enter the parade route. Wiley said at 1:30 p.m. EST the parade route had not yet reached capacity.
The Secret Service has planned for about 300,000 to 350,000 people to line the route newly sworn President Barack Obama will follow along historic Pennsylvania Avenue to the White House.
More like this story
- Scientists fly Kansas sky to study ferocious storms
- The beetle hunter: KU entomologist on quest to identify insects of Peru
- Wichita school to establish NASA-inspired space program
- New natural gas extractions plant operating in Kansas
- Kansas Turnpike encourages work zone safety with contest for youths