County evaluates state budget cuts
By the end of the year the county had more money than they had expected, but how long that good news will last will depend on what the state will do.
On Thursday, County Administrator Heather Morgan updated the Leavenworth County Board of County Commissioners on the county’s 2008 budget.
The county had budgeted to have around $2.25 million as the beginning cash balance of 2009, but it actually had nearly $2 million more than expected. After paying out $1.9 million in unexpended budget authority for 2008, the county has around $79,000 left over in its reserves, which can be used to offset the 2010 budget or used to subsidize any shortfall in revenue for the year.
While the budget as a whole was in the black, some of the departments weren’t.
For example, the county health department was $38,000 over budget, solid waste was over by $18,000, and nearly $40,000 by juvenile programs.
But the extra money may be needed if the Legislatures pass Gov. Kathleen Sebelius’ proposed plan to resolve the budget gap.
Morgan said the adjustments in property tax sliders would mean a loss of more than $288,000 for machinery and telecommunications. The loss of alcohol tax revenue would be around $26,590 less for the county and the loss of some money from the city and county highway funds would also mean a loss of about $186,000.
In other business the county:
•Spoke with Ed Reasoner, assistant manager for the Risk Management Department of Thomas McGee, about the county’s options with the Kansas Eastern Region Insurance Trust. The commissioners tabled the discussion of whether they will stay with KERIT, until they can look at more options.
• Morgan discussed the meeting with officials from the county and the city of Tonganoxie about the interlocal agreement between the two entities for the development along County Road 1.
More like this story
- Yo-yo professional to have Thursday workshop at Linwood Community Library
- Taking the stage: Tonganoxie band SnakeDog to perform Friday
- Kansas City Connection: FüD for thought
- Tonganoxie High teacher starts petition to meet President Obama
- Kansas City Connection: Ugly sweaters, Legos for adults and KU basketball at the Sprint Center