Tonganoxie girls lose in semis
The Chieftain girls won’t be defending their Tonganoxie Invitational crown.
Tonganoxie fell in the semifinals to Lansing, 54-39, on Friday night.
THS (6-3) led very early in the contest thanks to baskets from Chrissie Jeannin and Abby Eisman, but Lansing (7-2) controlled the game the rest of the way and advanced to the tournament final, where the Lions will take on Eudora.
Uncharacteristically, the Chieftains kept missing point-blank shots, and were unable to put together an offensive run. They got within six early in the fourth quarter when senior forward Roni Grizzle drove baseline for a lay-in, but the Lions answered and pulled away.
Jeannin led Tonganoxie with 18 points and Grizzle scored 11 and grabbed eight rebounds.
Brittney Lang and Alexis Ellis of Lansing each scored 15 points.
Tonganoxie will play Silver Lake in the third-place game at 1 p.m.
Score by quarters
Lansing 14 15 10 15 — 54
Tonganoxie 8 8 10 13 — 39
Andie Jeannin 0-2 2-3 2, Roni Grizzle 5-17 1-2 11, Abby Eisman 1-4 0-0 2, Danielle Miller 0-0 1-2 1, Chrissie Jeannin 7-14 3-6 18, Haley Smith 1-1 0-0 2, Lauren Hall 1-2 0-0 3.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Kansas City Connection: Grinders Pizza and Celebration at the Station
- Kansas City Connection: Sushi and Sufjan
- Kansas City Connection: Char Bar, Sleater-Kinney, Zubaz and giant Lego sculptures
- Kansas City Connection: City Market a hub for delicious ethnic food