Nortonville man drowns attempting to assist child
A Nortonville man drowned Monday afternoon at Perry Lake.
Robert Courter was submerged for eight to nine minutes after swimming out to assist a child in the water, according to Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Herrig.
Courter was pulled from the lake by others at the beach, and was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. Doctors there could not revive him.
The incident occurred about 5 p.m. near the Perry area swimming beach, Herrig said.
The Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks is investigating the incident.
More like this story
- Kansas considers changes to policies for state workers
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets
- Tonganoxie vigil pays tribute to 21-year-old killed in Thursday morning wreck
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation
- Another viable senior living option in Tonganoxie?