Nortonville man drowns attempting to assist child
A Nortonville man drowned Monday afternoon at Perry Lake.
Robert Courter was submerged for eight to nine minutes after swimming out to assist a child in the water, according to Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Herrig.
Courter was pulled from the lake by others at the beach, and was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. Doctors there could not revive him.
The incident occurred about 5 p.m. near the Perry area swimming beach, Herrig said.
The Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks is investigating the incident.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie police calls, Feb. 20-March 1, 2015
- Tonganoxie City Fire Department calls for Feb. 15-21, 2015
- Tonganoxie St. Pat's Parade organizers working to bulk up annual spring event
- Grass fires commonplace in recent days in Tonganoxie area
- Rookies and veterans: Tonganoxie Chieftains sending four freshmen, two seniors to state