Nortonville man drowns attempting to assist child
A Nortonville man drowned Monday afternoon at Perry Lake.
Robert Courter was submerged for eight to nine minutes after swimming out to assist a child in the water, according to Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Herrig.
Courter was pulled from the lake by others at the beach, and was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. Doctors there could not revive him.
The incident occurred about 5 p.m. near the Perry area swimming beach, Herrig said.
The Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks is investigating the incident.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie police calls, March 25-April 9, 2015
- Tonganoxie police reports, June 29-July 5, 2015
- Off-duty Shawnee firefighter administers CPR to 4-year-old at Tonganoxie Water Park
- Tonganoxie City Fire Department fire calls, April 13-May 3, 2015
- Shooting at Overland Park duplex kills woman, wounds girl