Open Arms Christian Daycare and Preschool will have its Enrollment Extravaganza from 10 a.m. until noon Saturday at 109 N. Union in McLouth. Enjoy crafts, face painting, balloons, a moonwalk, healthy snacks and a story room. All activities will be free. Open Arms offers faith-based learning, along with traditional curriculum.
• A special benefit garage and bake sale will be Friday and Saturday, Aug. 7 and 8, at 402 West Cynthia St. in McLouth. Kyle Jones is autistic. His classmates have formed a team, Kyle’s Crew, in his honor, and proceeds from this fundraiser will help them meet their goal for the “Autism Speaks” walk, which will be Saturday, Oct. 10 at Kansas Speedway. Kyle’s classmates are gratefully accepting items and baked goods for the sale from people willing to donate. Let’s help these kids make this a successful fundraiser.
Kyle’s mother, Dixie Jones, was impressed with the classmates’ efforts.
“Seriously, how many kids nowadays stop and think of someone else?” she asked. “These kids are the most wonderful group of kids you will ever meet.
“It does a heart good, as we are reminded how many good people are in this world.”
Items may be delivered anytime before the sale, or call (913) 796-6881 to have them picked up.
• McLouth’s 52nd annual Threshing Bee will be a two-day event this year, on Friday and Saturday, Aug. 7 and 8, with fun for all ages. John Deere products will be featured. Friday, a special Antique and Classic Tractor Ride to benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation begins at 9 a.m. Steam Threshing sessions will be at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. The antique and classic tractor pull begins at 7 p.m.; and the patio dance featuring a live band begins at 8 p.m. Saturday’s events are steam threshing at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.; a drive-in car show; garden tractor pull at 11 a.m.; ATV Pull at 1 p.m.; The Parade of Power at 1:30 p.m.; Kid's (Ages 3-12) Pedal Tractor Pull at 5 p.m.; and live music begins at 6 p.m.
• John Sanders will celebrate his 85th birthday Sunday, Aug. 9. If you would like to mail him a card, address it to John Sanders, McLouth 66054.
— Please submit McLouth community information, announcements and upcoming events to Beverly Muzzy: email@example.com or (913) 796-6935.
More like this story
- Police: 2 men arrested for pretending to be crash victims
- Tonganoxie vigil pays tribute to 21-year-old killed in Thursday morning wreck
- Suspect in homicide case takes authorities on vehicle chase that ends in Basehor
- Brownback wants more highway patrol officers
- Some Tonganoxie residents unhappy with roaming buffalo