Himpel scores all-star team’s lone run
Recent Tonganoxie High grad Lauren Himpel played sparingly but still managed to score her team’s only run during the MO-KAN All-Star Softball Series on Monday at the Shawnee Mission School District Softball Complex.
Missouri won the series, 3-0 and 3-1.
Himpel batted eighth in the first game of the best-of-three series and lined out to center field in her only plate appearance.
In the second game, the former Chieftain entered as a pinch runner in the top of the fourth inning. She scored on a single by Rosie Hull of Free State that gave the Kansas all-stars a brief 1-0 lead before Missouri scored three in the bottom of the fifth.
Kansas — which had won the seven previous all-star matches after Missouri won the inaugural series — had plenty of chances to win game two and force a decisive third game. It loaded the bases in the top of the first inning but was unable to push a run across.
More like this story
- Free speech group urges KU to exonerate professor who used N-word in class
- Education officials say schools need reshaped for the future
- Kobach seeks end to lawsuit against Kansas citizenship rule
- Report says student scores rise and fall with funding
- Changes in funding could change online offerings in Kansas