Tonganoxie woman killed in head-on collision
A 47-year-old Tonganoxie woman was killed in a head-on collision Tuesday night near Tonganoxie.
The accident occurred about 9:45 p.m. just south of Tonganoxie. Tonganoxie police dispatcher Mike Vestal said the accident was south of Leavenworth County Road 1 on U.S. Highway 24-40.
Shelli K. Stimach was driving a 2003 Nissan Altima south on U.S. 24-40 when a 1998 Chevrolet Lumina driven by Justin M. Wiles, 32, Tonganoxie, traveling north, went left of center and struck her vehicle head-on.
Stimach was pronounced dead at the scene, Kansas Highway Patrol reports said. She was wearing a seat belt, while Wiles was not, reports said.
Wiles was taken to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan. A hospital official said late Tuesday he could neither confirm nor deny Wiles was a patient.
More like this story
- Douglas County Fair returns July 24 with new theme, kiddie derby
- Cowboy event moseying in this weekend into Tonganoxie
- Learning about leadership in Leavenworth County
- Creating a family: Agency seeks more foster families; greatest need in Wyandotte County
- Tonganoxie swimmer places at Sunflower State Games